Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Choosing a signature

In the first piece on the topic of perfume I explored the language and descriptions used in the world of scents.  In this piece I think I want to talk about choosing a signature scent.  The lucky situation is that as you move through life you can change this signature.  Just as we change emotionally and physically, so our preferences in perfume will evolve.

I am writing this flying at 33 000 ft and sitting in the cool dry air of the Boeing 737 that carries me to Auckland.  I am aware of the smells coming from the passengers around me.  It is the end of a rather humid day in Dunedin and some passengers are 'fresh' off a flight from Australia, so not all is well in the state of Denmark.  

Some have obviously decided against using antiperspirants, or they have used badly designed stuff.  It has all gone a bit south.  Some of the cheap and cheerful scents have gone stale, and now  closely resemble the sweet smell of candy floss that has been sitting in the sun on the front of a baby's vest.  Barf and Fanta Orange.

This is the signature of inconsiderate types.  I am not convinced by the hippy and naturalist stance on these things.  This is not 1243, in the midst of a battle in southern Spain.  As the cowboy said in the movie:  "Shmellin' good aint noone of my business!"  I know, but it is my business trying to sip a glass of wine here next to you.

So some have the smell signature of old boots in a trench.  Some women wear the signature that resembles cheap gin mixed with rose petal toilet spray. And this is the thing, one must consider what the signature will look like when the ink started running, when someone served the dog a breakfast on it.  Will it still win through?  Or will it collude with the dog food to conjure up the second coming of the living dead?

As my lovely soul mate and wife, Chrissie, so eloquently puts it:  Do not wear a scent you have not spent a night with.  Literally, sleep on it.  The eight hours or so in bed will take the perfume through its paces.  From warm moments to cool deep sleep and temperature changes and chemistry shuffles of your skin, to getting ready for the morning shower and rushing around feeding  the dog, the cat and the kids, that time will give you the space to consider the fresh tones, the middle and dry down of the perfume.  If it is too sweet, you will know by morning.  If it has turned rancid by the time you raid the fridge during the long dark tea time of the soil you will be in a position to make an informed choice.  If you partners sneezes and asks about the smell, you know.  

Or perhaps you wake up during the night and you feel special.  And in the morning you still stop to sniff the soft scent that lingers on your arm.  Your partner smiles, the kids look happy, the dog leaves the cat alone and the cat walks away from war with the fern, then you know.  You have a winner.  Then someone may remark on your wonderful perfume during the day.  People like myself will walk past you, smile and try to place the perfume.  I will see you in a room, and take notice of you.  You are a considerate individual, thoughtful and calculated.  I like your signature, it gives me  confidence that I am dealing with a complete person.  

Yes, the signature is personal.  You cannot please everybody.  But chosen well it will not agitate people around you.  It will make you agreeable to those around you and build your confidence.  You may have to kiss a few frogs before you find that signature, but it is well worth it.


Personally I choose my scents from a range of carefully selected perfumes.  I care less for the idea that some are for males and some for females.  If I need a feminine day and emotions, I'll layer some base scent with something from Chrissie's selection.  Some days I'll go clean, wearing no scent, just a complete odourless antiperspirant.  Why not, our senses need a rest too.

No comments:

Post a Comment